I found this picture today. I think most of you know the story behind this but just in case you missed it- Maxie popped out his eyeball. Apparently Shih-tzu's have very "open" orbits, so with just a minute amount of pressure, their eyeballs pooch out.
This horrific event occurred on Thanksgiving of 2007, our first one married. We left Max at my parents and went to Clint's family's event. We think he pushed his head through the rod iron gate trying to follow us to the turkey. He didn't make it.
We came home to a googley eyed Max- not cute.
Off to the doggie ER where he was "bedded" next to a Pomeranian with the same problem. Apparently eye balls splooching out are common at the vet ER.
Thank God he was fixed and got to keep his eye, but the recovery was pretty awful.
Here he is...



He is SO sweet! Even with the poor sewn-up eye! I am afraid Tibetan spaniels may be prone to that problem too...and did I tell you? We have one now! I hope we never have this happen...It seems traumatic!
ReplyDeleteawww!!! i cant get enough shih-tzus! glad he is all healed up and well....ill be sure to look out for my little ones eyeballs :-/
ReplyDelete